I Forge Iron

My no-weld 2x72 belt grinder

jimaudio

Not that I can't weld - I just didn't feel like it. I used 18 and 12 inch pieces of Unistrut and 3/8" and 1/2" nuts & bolts with the right angle brackets and plates.

I did cheat and tack in an 8-32 nut for the tracking adjuster. I was going to epoxy a 1/4-20 t-nut into the hole but I ran out of epoxy and the 8-32 gives a finer adjustment.

Motor is a 3/4 horse washing machine motor. 2 speeds - 1140 and 1750 rpm. With a 6" drive wheel I calculated the belt speed at about 2200 fpm on low, 3400 on high.

Spring is from the same washing machine.

For the jackshaft I drilled out a couple of the angle brackets and put 3/4" OD 1/2" ID bushings in them. Turned the drive wheel myself. The others are 3" longboard wheels with abec 9 bearings on M8 bolts.

Total out-of-pocket cost was about $40 for the switches and wheels - had everything else laying around from other projects.

I still need to enclose the motor better. The little crate is just a frame to hang some filter material on. Eventually I'll make a platen, too.

Thanks for looking - Jim

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG