I Forge Iron

A new "twist" on an old tool

For some of my projects I do a lot of twisting which can be very time consuming if done with a twisting wrench. To solve this I took an old drill press, stripped off some of the components that I didn't need, and laid it back side down. I then made a special chuck (very easy) to hold 1/2 square stock. I built a stand for the drill press so that the chuck will be level with my vise so I can can put one end of the bar in the drill press and the other end in the vise. Now heat and twist. Quick and easy to use. If your twisting a tapered piece of steel then the drill press can be easily adjusted in and out to without moving the cart. Here are some photos.

Old_tool_new_twist_1.jpg Old_tool_new_twist_2.jpg Old_tool_new_twist_3.jpg

I stopped at a blacksmith shop in Oklahoma in the late 70's and the ole boy there was using an old worn out pipe thread cutting machine to twist his rod. Nice slow motor and did a nice job on various sizes of steel. With the big chuck he had on there. He did both hot and cold twisting. Hot for tight twists and cold for window bars.