I Forge Iron

Anvil/Swage?

I inherited this from my Grandfathers farm in Southern Illinois. It was housed in his barn and as children we would use it to crack open black walnuts. I always thought it was an anvil but it has holes like a swage... I don't know the difference and I have looked and looked - but can not find a photo of anything similar to this. It is very old and very heavy. Can anyone tell me exactly what it is and/ or the value of a piece like this? Thanks

Grandpa Matlack's Anvil - Swage.JPG

Welcome to the forum, have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST  It will help you get the best out of the forum. It's not an anvil or swage in the traditional sense but could be used for one. To me it looks like some kind of counter weight for a piece of old equipment. Very heavy is a relative term. To my wife 50 pounds is very heavy but to me 250 pounds is very heavy and in anvil terms 500 pounds & above is very heavy.

Not to mention times as well; we don't consider an anvil old till it's pre 1830 and very old can push it to medieval times.

Take a picture of it and show it to the local farm implement dealer and see if they can identify what piece of farm equipment it might have been used with.

Not knowing where you are located, I suggest looking for some places that do old farm machinery restorations. In my area there are two I know of Tired Iron and Rusty Wheels, with many members and they are always looking for parts & pieces to restore those old machines. Never know it may be more valuable to them than an anvil. There are a bunch of web sites supplying antique parts too, Yesterday's Tractor is one I know of and have bought parts for my old tractors from them.