I Forge Iron

I dont think people understand.....

Everyone else is into architectural ironwork. They have some nice custom jobs that are small, but the real income is railings, gates, etc, all going into multi-million-dollar homes, corporate offices, hotel lobbies

I disagree with the above.

My anecdotal example is that I know quite a few smaller operation professional blacksmiths and they're doing fine surviving this economy.

"Real income" is relative . . . If someone's personal and business life are so top heavy with debt and overhead that big money every month is the only solution, that's a position they created for themselves and not an absolute defining how you can make a living at blacksmithing.

If you set yourself up with an industrial sized operation, if you lease or pay on a loan for a large sq footage shop, pay on a business loan, have employees, etc. then yes, big money is the only thing that will support it.

I've been a one man operation going on ten years making nothing but smaller pieces and have always been able to make a comfortable living.
I have no other source of income other than blacksmithing and woodworking.

It seems many in our craft feel architectural work is the only way to be a "professional" blacksmith and anyone doing smaller work is just enjoying it as a hobby and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Has the last year seen a drop in my business? You bet, just as there's been a drop in business for larger companies. But I leverage a bad economy by being much more flexible in my product offerings and reacting quickly by going after markets that can support my smaller operation.

Industrial isn't the only way it can be done, it's just a difference of scale and a modest operation can be just as viable as a large one.

I disagree with the above.

My anecdotal example is that I know quite a few smaller operation professional blacksmiths and they're doing fine surviving this economy.

I disagree with your disagreement. :) Seriously, though, I was speaking anecdotally, too. I'm sure regions differ, but up here in New England, I really can think of only two of our members who are earning their livings with smaller stuff. I just thought of one other as I was typing. She does mostly sculpture. And by earning a living, I mean they derive 100% of their income in metalwork. Some even supplement with welding jobs when the blacksmithing is slow, but that is usually railing fabs, or maybe heavy equipment repair.

So take that for what it's worth - one small view in our club. And I could easily be mistaken and not know everyone in the area. But all the talk at the meets is from the guys who do the big stuff. Maybe the small stuff guys are just quiet. However, I never get any feel from the big stuff guys that they look down on small work as hobbyist work. They just don't seem to feel they can earn a living at it.

The other thing with small stuff, is it's all done kind of "on spec". You spend your days making bunches of the same things and stock an inventory, in the hopes they'll sell. At least that's the way the one guy I know does it. Very different from the architectural work, where everything is commissioned. Maybe the folks I know just don't like that kind of business model.

But another reason I don't think there are many small-stuff smiths around here - I think I would have seen a business card, website, or something like that where I could check out a catalog. I only know of that one. Edited by Marc

One nice thing - that small-stuff blacksmith I know is Ian Eddy. And I'll plug his site as he's a great guy, Ian Eddy Blacksmith Handwrought Ironworks

I spoke with him a couple weeks ago and his business is doing very well. He had some rough times a year or two ago, but is busier now than he's ever been. So it was nice to hear he's doing well. Hope it continues, as that would be good news for the blacksmithing business in general.

I consider people who argue that it's cheaper at a megastore or stuff like that NOT WORTHY of handcrafted blacksmith's work.

If you work well enough and do a bit of advertising, you will attract people who understand that what they are paying for is UNIQUE and better than anything churned out by the millions. Only with those people is your work safe. If you can't find them . . better keep it then lower the price.

Marc,

I like that - " I disagree with your disagreement".

All of your points are valid and well taken but there is a lot of "can't be done without going industrial" sentiment out there and it just doesn't have to be true.

I think you're right that you just have to dig a little deeper to find us small shop folk - for myself I don't even have a website. I work via established clients and word of mouth.

I do a mix of "on spec" work and commissions - between the two I get regular biz and don't miss any meals, I pay the bills, pursue my interests and put a little in the bank so while it's not an exciting lifestyle for sure it is one I love and wouldn't trade for the world!

Here's my favorite small scale guy story (besides myself:)): gstongs.com Glen has been making tongs for other smith's and specialty industries for about 4 years and is doing really well for himself.

I checked out Ian's site. Nicely done! Good solid product, well executed and presented. It's good to hear he's doing well!

I build items that folks sometimes can't find elsewhere. I also build items that CAN be found elsewhere but not hand forged or hand built. When folks ask about an item, I in turn ask them if it feels good in their hand or if it is pleasing to look at. Sometimes they make a suggestion about length or balance or other issues. I tell them that I can sometimes make adjustments to things to make them fit their hand better ( or make it left handed ). Then they may ask about price and I give them the answer. Most folks will realize where they are at ( custom shop ) and perhaps ( perhaps not ) balk a bit. Most will reealize the value of hand work. Some will whine about price, some will say "I can't afford your work". If they are rude, I tell them to go to Wal Mart and have the greeter adjust the stuff they buy. Wal Mart will yes, install a watch band or offer assistance in the different departments for a large part. Most businesses are realizing that service is where things happen ( after service left most industries ). Help from your ISP in connection issues, having the auto parts guy install the new wiper blades ( for my wife ) etc are all good and well but I challenge them to make a reverse twist out of a straight twist on a spatula handle ( WHILE YOU WAIT). I try very hard to make people happy. Get lippy and you have met your match. Life is good. Eat dessert first. :) Educating the public many times helps keep me educated ( you never know what you may learn ).

Edited by Ten Hammers