I Forge Iron

pictures of regenerare for Calamari

Yes it is. It is called Frosterly Marble. It is quarried at a town called Frosterly Near County Durham. At present they just crush it for road chippings. The guy that i worked alongside, Keith Murray, did all the carving and polishing. He is now working in the quarry doing some amazing work with huge chunks of the stone. I think his web address is Keith Stuart Murray Gallery if you cannot find it i will try and get the address for you if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I've met Brian twice, once at Ironbridge with the rest of his family and once when I went with a Blacksmith mate of mine (Moony) who came over from Oz to see him at his forge. I'd heard about him before I met him, seen his work and rated it but was suprised by how generous he was. I tried to lurk and just watch, but made the fortunate mistake of asking a question about how he got such a sharp clean outer corner on some square bar bent 90 degree's without thinning the corner. I think they were components of a gate. I'd hoped he'd just tell me, instead he showed me how and then went on and gave me a bit to try myself. He dragged the steel about so ruddy fast it was just impressive. I took another heat to get it done LOL. He said the one I did was good enough to try doing the other 100 or so he needed. Purely from an educational point of view I envy you those three years, I'd love to take some classes with him.

Edited by Ian