I Forge Iron

Is it junk???

bryson489

I put this blade together mostly out of some scrap from work so i can't get very technical. I put a stack together of some bandsaw blade and pallet strapping. I only went up to about 40 layers then i cut it in half and restacked it with a peice of 5160 as a core. I don't think i ever let it get cool enough when i was hammering, but with mystery steel i can't be positive. I use a coal forge for welding. I was very happy with the quench. First shot, no tinks heard, and the file skated across nicely. After finishing the blade up i etched it in coffee. This was my first time etching in coffee and i let it sit overnight. I wanted it darker still so i ended up leaving it in for the rest of the day. After the soak i noticed all these little lines. They look like cracks but im not 100% they only pass through the darker layers, and on the 5160. I can't find any on the bandsaw blade layers. It's hard to get pictures of them. Ive tried chopping into some logs to get it to break or make them larger but so far it's holding up. Just not sure if i should continue our scrap it. I don't see how it could be a result from the etch. I feel it should have broken with the amount of beating I've been putting it through if it was cracked. Oh, and i can only see them on one side of the blade. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

20180922_013300.jpg

20180922_013453.jpg

20180922_013346.jpg

Snapchat-1157937260.jpg