I Forge Iron

Ideal Tong Proportions

jlpservicesinc

I'm going to get in trouble for this post, but once you see or use this type of tong you will find it works well for a flat jaw tong..

I started to create a video for beginners on tong measurements from a basic stand point that offers the most serviceable tongs for the beginner and with little practice usually in just a few pairs can have the process mastered very well.. 

There is an ideal ratio of tong shape/size that can make or break a tong and it's the reason there were standards in place originally on tongs..    There are a bunch of variables but ideally the jaw shoulder to pivot boss is 1/2 to 9/16 width...    This ratio is also the same for the Boss/pivot to rein thickness..     This type of arrangement will offer a strong well defined tong.. Jaw width is based on pivot boss width and the jaw for the most part is X2 pivot width..   1/2" pivot boss width = a 1" jaw... 

Tongs can be made to any size or shape but for beginners understanding the  "Ideal" ratio will offer a huge pay back as it eliminates a lot of the problems New tong makers face " Which for the most part are thinned jaw bosses leading to cracks and cracking  and overly thick reins which make the tongs tiring to use and they won't grip well since the boss/jaw width is thin at the pivot boss also the hands will fatigue quickly..

The reins need a little bit of flex for comfort in use..  The measurements got cut off on the side view for width of 1" and 1" for jaw width.. 

These flat jaw tongs were made in 1990 and have been shown no love in all these years.. Anybody who has seen me work can tell you this as I will throw the tongs orange colored right into the slack tub... 

The scroll tongs are high carbon..  You can see how the ratio is applied.. 

20180710_154610.jpg

20180710_155906.jpg

20180710_155912.jpg

20180710_155926.jpg

20180710_155930.jpg

20180710_160053.jpg

20180710_160124.jpg