I Forge Iron

Rubber for hammer springs

I was just looking for any technical info on rubber for casting springs for a Bradley type hammer , and I have to admit , I am more baffled than before. It almost looks like industry gave up on elastomer springs. I was curious if anyone knows the original durometer of Bradley cushions? If I had a gage I would run out to the shop and check. Perhaps a tire shop could gage them for me???

I had mine tested at a tire shop and I think they were in the low 60A range, I could double check my notes. There have been threads on this topic before with no real consensus.

I made new rubbers from 70A urethane and it seems a bit to hard. Others have mentioned higher hardness values. 

The new ones I have are noticeably harder as well. It has been quite a long time since I had them made so I don't recall the specifics. It looks like 50-60 is the standard in industry, but all my references are somewhat lacking in details. Machineries Handbook has even failed me.