I Forge Iron

Sealing gas threads on the MIG regulator?

Gday all,

I went to use the MIG today only to discover no gas coming out of the regulator even though there is gas in the bottle. Upon checking I found a wasp had packed mud into the gas outlet were I had disconected the line. To get all the mud out I had to unscrew the outlet from the regulator. There was sealing compound of some sort on the threads.

Would the thread sealing compound or tape used with LPG be ok to use with MIGgas? I have some awaiting the build of my gas forge, or do i need to get a different product?

Regards
Rusty_iron,
Brisbane, Oz.

usually a teflon based sealing compound, teflon tape is ok as long as you stay back one thread from the end like hydraulics so you don't cut the end of the tape off and it travels to some point where it will restrict the flow and oh yes, with teflon its easy to overtighten and split something its so slick. kinda like oiling the threads on bolts etc then torqueing them to specs, the oil is a lubricant so over torqueing is usually the result and failure occurs.

It is always a good idea to preassurize the system when you are done with the repair and check all of the connections by spraying them with soapy water. If you see any bubbles you know you need to tighten/repair the connection. This is an easy way to prevent losing a whole cylendar full of gas to a slow leak.