I Forge Iron

Thanks mike-hr

markb

Mike and I met a few years ago on a new home project. Mike was doing the railings (pics in gallery) and I was wiring the house.
We connected here by chance when Mike saw my intro.
Many thanks to you Glenn.

Mike is a ABANA certified instructor and full time smith. He invited me to his shop for a one on one day of instruction after seeing my post concerning fire scale.

I didn't have any trouble finding the shop , when I pulled up I could hear the THUMP-THUMP-THUMP of the 65# power hammer.
Mike gave me advice on hammer selection and face dressing and we went to work, my choice coal or gas, gas it was as I'm not set up for coal.

We started with mild steel and hammered out a punch and chisel, then went to 1085 and made a punch and tempered it. I can't tell you how much I learned in those simple exercises, I would never have figured it out by reading.

Mike passed on a lot of tips and tricks throughout the day, and gave me the solution to a repair for my 25# little giant, and to top off the day we took a spin his power hammer. What a treat that was, inspired me to get to work on my hammer.

So here's to you Mike (raises glass) for your generosity and willingness to share your knowlege and time.

Cheers Mark