I Forge Iron

Question about Carbon

I need to make some flint and steel strikers and and having a problem finding stock at the right price... I was thinking about using something like Kasenit on some mild(which I have tons of and I cant bring my self to cut up any files for something as simple as a striker, any one have opinions or insight about this?

Old files are hard to beat.

Ditch the Kasenit idea. Case hardening only goes a couple 1/1000ths deep, so you're gonna wear through it pretty quick with a fire steel. No doubt it'll work, if that's all you got, but good steel is good steel all the way through.

I use files with a water quench; no temper.

Don

Thanks Don, Thats the answer I was afraid of, LOL, looks like im off to the flea markets as I struck out with all the overhead door type places nearby and even 1 installer that I offered cash to call me if he got a good stack of 'em.

rfb343
If you can come to one of our meetings ill be glad to give you some spring material ( maybe say enough for 40 or 50 strikers )
Im in central virginia you can check us out at Blacksmith Guild of Viriginia or I would bet that the blacksmith guild of central maryland would have a few members that could point you in the right direction. They are located in westminster maryland about 30 miles from gettysburg PA.

Mike Tanner

What thickness of spring material are we talking about needing? I have a "small" stack of tension springs taken off of commercial garage doors. Sizes range anywhere from 1/8" up to about 1/2" inch stuff. Might be able to send you some if you pick up the shipping.

They are easy to straighten into workable pieces. Just cut a small section, heat thoroughly in the forge, drop around an upright heavy rod set in a stump, and pull with tongs. You wouldn't believe how many feet of useable stock is in a coil spring. Send my a PM, rfb343, if you can't find anything else to work with.