I Forge Iron

New to Everything

Spookygami

I figured it was rude of me not to introduce myself before asking a question so I'm fixing that
Hello! My name is Josh, but my online handle is Okagami (It's spookygami here because I used my twitter to sign up and I changed it's name for October to something spooky. Feel free to just call me Oka) 
Anyways, I've been sick for a long time since I was 21, had major surgery when I was 22 and am now 30. I've been on and off work since I got sick and recently I haven't been able to work for the past three years due to my illness

I recently got on a new medication that seems like a miracle drug for me. I'm finally at the point where I can start thinking about what happens after I'm sick. I used to work in a factory doing pvc, ductal iron, and then moved to Quality Control, after I was laid off I was working in retail, which was a nightmare I don't wish to repeat. I have been enamored with watching metal crafting/blacksmithing/metal casting and decided that this is what I wanted to do with my life and have slowly been accumulating knowledge and tools to start the craft.

I'm still sick and can't do much, but this won't stop me now. I know I can't make a living on it, yet, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time

Hey, welcome to the site.  Hope that you can fulfill your dream of metalworking someday.  You might want to look into working in non-ferrous metals at first as an inexpensive way of easing into metalworking, as you seem open to a variety of different types.

What I would most strongly suggest is taking a class at a craft school of some sort.  There are far too many to list, but you might start looking at either Penland or the John Campbell Folk school, both of which are not too far away from you (and there certainly may be something closer).  Some hands on experience with the tools and techniques will help decide on direction and influence your eventual choice.