I Forge Iron

Just getting started

Ken73

Hi my name is Ken and I'm 26 years old, married and just getting started in blacksmithing. I was born and raised in Ionia, Michigan on a small farm, though I currently live in town (yuck). I also lived in southwest Iowa for a year.

I spent 4 years working at a grain elevator/feed mill. After having my fill of grain dust I spent 3 years as a conductor for a Class One railroad. During my time off (layoff) I spent time working at a large tool and die shop making automotive dies. After a little too much layoff time I left the railroad and have been at an ethanol production plant for the last year and a half.

I'm not sure just when or how the smithing bug bit me. My grandfather had a small smithy on the farm that I have fond memories of. I have spent this winter putting together some of the needed tools and equipment to get started. Just recently bought an anvil which I have a few pics of. Will be sure to share my work once my forge is going.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI. Nice looking anvil. What kind is it and how much does it weigh? These are kinda like "braggin' rights" in the blacksmithing world. :) You know...my (whatever) is bigger than your (whatever) kinda thing. ;) Looking forward to seeing some of your work. Enjoy the site and when ya got a question, just ask. There are a ton of folks here that will give you an answer. Once again, welcome.

Thanks for the welcome Thomas! The anvil I was told is an American Star(big star on the side) weighing in at about 150 lbs on the bathroom scale. Its a cast iron body with tool steel face so it doesn't have a ring when hit. Rebound seems to be ok though. :)

Ken,

Not much of an anvil there. In fact, I'm willing to give you $25 cash, just to take it off you hands.
:D

Seiously, I had a much smaller and much more abused version of your "Star" anvil. I found some information that dated it to the time of, or slightly before, the War Between the States. I believe they were made in New Jersey.

That is a nice one, for sure.

Welcome, by the way.

Don