I Forge Iron

sideblast almost done !

desmato

I am almost finished with the sideblast build. picked up some 2" black pipe, elbows, flanges today and hope to have it fired up by next weekend !  I will be making a water cooled tue-iron/bosh tank but I need to get back to forging.  I still need to cap the hood and install the powered vent (see other post) which I also picked stuff up for today.

Had to rearrange part of the shop to make room for indoor forging until I build the dedicated shop, so excuse the mess. (you can see my Whitlox inspired charcoal forge & hood next to it)

Todd

here's a crappy video of the powered vent. my 1st youtube video... my kids would be proud (NOT)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYfeybH7M2w

20170823_173008_resized.jpg

20170823_173026_resized.jpg

• 4 months later...

Ok, long time since I started this thread. been spending too much time on cars, women and booze....  Wait, that's not it.  well, cars is somewhat correct. 

Anywho, heres a more recent photo of the newly created forging area in the shop. This is slowly becoming less a car shop and more the metal shop. I'm sure at some point I will actually build the dedicated forge, but for now I gotta work with what I got (10x more than most, I know)

The sand is gone, it was more for photos and a test for the vent system. I spray galvanized the pan and haven't filled it back up yet. I used a T fitting for my bypass air valve,  I cut a slit in 1/4' rod and welded a flap to it. this is under the pan and connected to a push/pull rod on both sides (for us ambidextrous types)

I included a shot of the powered vent since there were a few discussions of their feasibility.

Todd

20170905_183032_resized.jpg

20170905_175108_resized.jpg

20180106_200714_resized_1.jpg

20171202_150953_resized.jpg

20171204_154119_resized.jpg