I Forge Iron

Commercial Forge Recommendations

Balyrion

Hi All,

New member just getting started in blacksmithing. I made the decision to use a gas forge and to buy rather than build as I am lucky enough to be able to afford it and am more interested in getting to hammering than I am in fiddling with a new forge. I had made the decision to purchase a Diamondback but when I went to their site today I was greeted with some racist nonsense that makes me unwilling to give them my business. This is quite unfortunate as they seem to offer a good well regarded product. The next best I have been able to find are the Chile models. I was hoping some of you could weigh in with anything I might be overlooking.

To briefly cover what my end goal is, I would like to eventually do some bladesmith work, although I also have interest in some practical and artistic work. I have not done any blacksmithing yet, so I am very new, very green, and am sure I am missing much needed information. Realistically my goal here is a quality product I won't have to do much fiddling with while I learn, I am okay if I grow out of it in a year or two, just want something to get me started as easily as possible. 

Attached is the screenshot from Diamondback if anyone wants to understand what my objection is.

Screen shot removed due to language and racial slur violating IFI posting policy, see other thread about this in general discussion under  smithing for commenting

Mikey,

I considered it, frankly if there were no options for a commercial forge I would likely go that route. There do seem to be solid options for commercial forges so I figured I would pursue that first. I fully expect that down the line when I know what I both want and need I will build something to suit. For now I think a more flexible general purpose commercial offering is more in line with my needs.