I Forge Iron

New guy from Michigan

Hey everyone, my name is Jonathan, I'm currently a hobby smith in Northern Mi. I was introduced to blacksmithing by my Grandfather when I was really young, and have recently picked it up again. I have dreamed of becoming a professional blacksmith but am still too unskilled to achieve such a goal currently. I hope to further my skills and knowledge by joining this site that has been significant help to me already.

Welcome aboard Jonathan glad to have you. Do you have access to your Grandfather's tools and equipment? have you connected with the local blacksmithing organization? Keep your job while you develop your blacksmithing skills sets and a market, it's not a simple thing becoming a pro. A really good practice is taking business courses, it's a business first.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello Frosty, I'm glad to be here. Yes I have most of my Grandfather's tools, a few tongs, some punches, all of his hammers, the anvil and his old forge. I just recently bought a post vice. And I also just finished  building a larger forge.

I haven't yet contacted any blacksmith organizations.

I have found  out that  it's alot more than just swinging a hammer at hot metal. If I had some extra cash I would love to take some business courses, but I do study the subject when I get a chance.