I Forge Iron

Machining a DEEP square hole

T-Gold

I just had another idea. How much heat and pressure is this part subjected to?

Perhaps you could have it made by stereolithography, then copper flashed and hard chromed to surface finish. This would be infinitely simpler, so long as you have a top flight CAD engineer.

Sorry folks, I can't quit thinking. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Aha, so that's what it measures...distance...small or huge. The same principle of wave measurement is used in modern day total station surveying; a total station being a you-beaut version of the old theodolite.

Some time ago we had a Doctor of Surveying collect a number of "Mecometers" from around the world. They only measured to 0.01mm over 20 or 30 km which was pretty good in those days but pale into insignificance compared to T's Interferometer. This was the early eighties last century and each mecometer was worth $100,000.00. We were carrying five of the monsters around in the ute. Mum was horrified to know she had half a million dollars worth of stuff in the driveway. "Shouldn't we post a battalion of Special Air Service personnel" she quipped. "Nah" I said, "she'll be right. They weren't worth a pinch of cocky xxxx to anybody except our mad scientist.

The worst part about it was the bloke couldn't fix my crook back...some doctor?