I Forge Iron

avoid cinder sticking to forge

BORZ

hello!im not reaaly experienced in blacksmithing( mean i just started trying about)1and have a problem about cinder,it sticks to the firepot after a while. As it cools,it is like glass.iI use coke,it might not be the best quality,but the only kind to get yet.If anybody could give an advice what to do to avoid that?(the pot is a self made one,covered vith fire clay).Thanks in advance for help
Istv

Are you sure it's cinder, not clinker? The fact that it becomes like glass makes me think it's clinker as cinder, as I know it, is more soot and ash like than glass. If it is clinker, you need to clean your fire more often to get rid of it. Generally, if you let up on the air for a little while, the clinker will start to solidify and will look darker than the coke surrounding it. It also will generally puddle near the air source for the fire pot.

Sorry,dont speak english that much,im not sure i know the difference.You may right,the fact is,it a greasy stuff when hot,and becomes solid like glassif it cools,really near the air intake.how to clean up the thing?They are small pieces when hot.Next time i try get them out better.thanks for answer anyway!