I Forge Iron

Forney 42405 Supercote Hardfacing Welding Rod for Anvil

I have an anvil with much worse welding abuse.  It was used at an AZ copper mine and after they stopped forging there the maintenance team used it as a welding fixture---so it's around 400 pounds looks like a Trenton, had a beautiful flat face and air arc gouges across it. I bought it for about 50 cents a pound in Ohio  and moved it out to NM when I moved and finally made it to an Abana Affiliate anvil repair clinic.  We followed the Robb Gunter method as to preheat and rod and it's now a lovely backup anvil for my large shop anvil---sits with the armouring equipment in the "clean" shop.

It is easy to ruin an anvil but its also not that hard to fix one right if you take the time to do it right..Those torch cuts are already haz affected. For at least an inch in every direction Id guess. Though Im guessing you already know that since its probably softer around them from the auto tempering.. Ive fixed three I think and all three turned out just fine,actually they pretty good Ill modestly say. Also want to add that you can get stoody rods in 1/8" so you don't need quit so big a machine..Im familiar with several hardfacing rods/wires but not so much the supercoat your talking about..I know Gunthers method usually calls for a underlay of 2110 and cap of 1105. That's generally for large repairs though