I Forge Iron

Hello from mid michigan

twandawg85

I just started blacksmithing this year.(well last year sometime around June or July 2016)  Dove in head first.  Got a friend about 45 minutes away giving me pointers. He keeps asking me if I'm sure I've never done this before.  I keep telling him this stuff just makes sense to me.   But mostly im just watching YouTube and making it up as I go along. Using a lot of my grandpa's and great grandpa's tools.  Set up in my dad's old shop (none of them did much Blacksmith work if any. Grandpa's were farmers and dad had a refinishing buisiness).  Grandpa had some big stuff. Found a pipe wrench that was 4 foot long, and a 16 lb straight peen hammer.  The big stuff suits me though (I'm 6'6 300+lbs). Not sure what exactly he was using that hammer for though. 

Started off with my grandpa's old drum forge and an electric leaf blower. Upgraded to a home built forge I designed myself. Leaf blower is still in action. It's adjustable so that's nice. 

If there is anyone in mid Michigan let me know and maybe we could connect sometime. I'm always down for learning more. Or teaching what I know(which isn't much, but I have a functioning forge!) 

Glad to have found this forum.  looking forward to learning more!