I Forge Iron

looking for hardware

I am looking for a simpler way to make my style of cabinet pulls so i need to source some hardware that will work. Ideally what is needed is 5/8 inch round (or square or hex, dont care) stock 7/8 or so inches long tapped for a 10/32 screw. I have looked at weld nuts, post screws, coupling nuts and nothing seems to fit. Currently my solution is to weld a 1/4 inch nut into a piece of 1/2inch id. tube and weld to the back of the piece. This works well and looks nice but I would like to eliminate the hard weld. Or maybe someone knows tooling to make tapping mass quantities easy. I will try to post photos.

thanks

jamie

Steel. Dims are about 1 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 3/8. All of them are different and the backs are far from flat which is why welding a spacer piece on the back works well as i can tweak them. What kind of machine and effort is required for automated tapping?

thanks

jamie

we have a drill press that can do it, its just a matter of sspeed vs vertical travel, but youd have to individually set them in a vice and align it, at which point there is a breif pause while you watch it do its thing and you start over with another one, thus its not exactly a labor saver over doing the whole process yourself, in an automated factory all the parts would be identical, and a material handling and alignment automation would be designed to make it relatively labor free

Google "tapping heads". and several suppliers should come up.

I know that Enco sells tapping heads.

A tapping head fits in a drill press and and has a clutch and gear reduction system in it and and an auto reverse feature that backs the tap back out again.

I beleive a new tapping head, will set you back $250 to $500 but I have not priced them for a while. But if lucky you can find them used for well under $100.

There are some listed on Ebay now.

If you don't want something quite that automated you can buy a tapping guide which is a plate with a vertically free floating hand cranked arbor attached which holds a tap and guides it straight up and down so that it won't break.

The item to be tapped is placed in a vise or similar fixture on the plate and the tap is quickly spun in and out with the hand crank.

Which ever type you buy, make certain that it has collets or similar tap holding tooling with it for the size tap you desire to use.

Also buy High Speed production taps for this application. The hardware store variety carbon steel taps will most likely leave you dissappointed in this type of application.

And of course use plenty of of good cutting oil.