I Forge Iron

Erie steam hammer info wanted

I may be purchasing a 100# erie steam hammer. At least I think its a 100#. The ram figures to be 67#, the top die 18#, add the rod and piston and I come up with about 100#. The hammer is about 8' tall. It has 3" X 6" dies and a 1" pipe inlet. My questions are; is there an opperating manual available. How much does it weigh? How much is it worth in good running condition? It has been sitting unused in an open building for the past 10 years. The roof did not leak but the hammer has plenty of rust. It looks like there are no missing parts. At the very least it will need the guides reground and a new rod. All of the controls are stuck. it colud need lots of internal rebuilding. How much is it worth now? Thanks for any responces. Danny

Wouldn't have a jolly clue how much, but it sounds like you have heaps of bargaining power. In Australia, a working hammer might fetch from between $1500 to $3000, times about 0.75 for $US I suppose. Less Some for the rust, less some for the stuck thingos, less the labour and parts you estimate it will need to get it up and running. Ask the seller how much he will give you to take it away :shock: