I Forge Iron

Black Ink: it's not 60 wire. It's E6010 stick electrode... I've been welding for just about 1-1/2 school years (I'm 18 and a senior in high school taking classes at a vocational high school). About 250-275 days; 1-1/2 to 2 hours per day on Stick, MIG, and TIG welding, brazing, oxy/acetylene cutting, and some oxy-fuel welding. But that's at school. I've been cutting and brazing for about 12 years now.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

I had an AWS-certified welding teacher of vast pipeline experience tell me it's impossible to get a really good-looking bead with 6011, near-kin to 6010, both pipe rods. Mine certainly come out rough no matter what. These rods are not made for pretty, but for burning through gradue and floating slag up and out. Don't use 7018 as a root pass on an open joint, I recall, forget why. I'd say you are doing great with the 6010 and the 7018.

• 2 weeks later...

you got a good uniform bead, im havin a hard time seein the 7018 bead, i cant tell it looks like u have a little porosity in the 6010 bead? or is that from the slag hammer? if im stick welding, im using 6010's nearly always, when i use a 6010 i go foreward a 1/4" and back 1/8" make sure u watch the puddle fill completely otherwise it will look horrid, but going foreward and back burns the crap outta the way when u go to lay the bead down, plus it gives it that "roll of dimes" look.

If you run a 3/32 7018 you can get good drop thru with them. Its very tricky took me about 2 weeks to get the hang of it but the drop thru looks nice. Good looking welds. The 6010 is nice and uniform. I'm taking welding classes out at southwestern Illinois college and they put ya to work. We weld from 8am till 10:30 am take a 30 min break then back to welding until 1:30pm. Really great classes though.