I Forge Iron

cure for fly problem

Cory

Had a real bad fly problem this summer in the shop, hundreds if not thousands. I remembered seeing and asking about the bag of water hanging from the wall at the local watering hole, they said it was to get rid of the flies. Well the skeptic that Iam I didn't give it much credit at the time. I never did figure out what they were after but they didn't stick around long after I hung a large zip lock bag half full of water above the anvil and one by the slider on the shop. Almost all were gone by the next day.

Never heard of that one but it's sure worth a try. Its a timely tip for us blokes what with summer on the doorstep. And it will cause some double takes at the summer demos when people see all these plastic bags hanging from the rafters :lol: Another old time repellent or at least method of keeping the buggers away from your face is to mix cow dung into your dirt floor.

We have horses and cattle so we have flies. I buy those commercial fly bags that you put an attractant in and then fill with water. The flies go to it and crawl in but usually can't find their way out because the top is black. They die and it starts to stink so more are attracted. I had one earlier in this season with a good 4-5 pounds of dead flies in it and absolutely the worst smell I have ever experienced - definitely calls up the gag reflex. I could not bear to throw that nasty thing in the trash so I shot it with a 22 and blew it apart then let the sun dry out the mess.

The Hispanics around here hang up sealed bags of holy water to keep away evil spirits so maybe that's why the flies leave... :wink:

Take a 2 liter bottle and cut the funnel end and about 3/4" of the side wall of the bottle off. Drop a ball of hamburger and a little water into the bottom of the bottle. Now put the funnel end you cut off, small end first back into the bottle till the cut edges match up, and staple it in place. (yes remove the cap first). Flies smell the meat and go in but can not find their way out.

Or buy the same thing at the store for $10.