I Forge Iron

Belt grinder modifications?

RainsFire

Finn,

Thanks for the kind words. However, it didn't always look so nice. I started with new steel but it was kind of scuzzy. I used hot-rolled 1018 for the uprights and bearing supports and it was scaled badly. I spent several hours sandblasting all the metal in my home made sand blasting cabinet and it cleaned up nicely. I had intended to paint the thing but the sandblasted finish was so attractive I left it plain. I smeared some RIG grease on everything so it hasn't shown any signs of rusting. If I had it to do over again I would spend a few more bucks and use cold-rolled steel for all the parts.

K

5029.attach

Here is a couple pictures of the belt grinder. One with the adjuster. This is with a 48" belt. I just move the top wheel and adjuster up 6" and it becomes a 60" grinder. I put the platen in, there was nothing there when I got it. I went into a glass shop and asked if they had an old grinder and they come out with this and wanted $50 dollars for it, only took me a minute to get the $50.

5075.attach

5076.attach

Farmer Phyl, the plans by Tracy Mickley are great. I have just received my mine and am assembling parts. A number of knife makers have built a grinder from his plans and have nothing but praise. He is a well known knife maker and a great guy to deal with. Go to his main website and check it out.

I think you are right. Had I known about this grinder before I started my own KMG clone build I might have gone with it. It looks to me like a perfect project for someone with minimal tooling. Since I have a drill press, mill, lathe, and some other nice toys I had no problems with the solid steel plate used in the KMG version I made. However, it would be an impossible job without that access. This machine looks like it would go together a lot quicker than mine did as well. Here's a thread from another forum that will shed some more light on this grinder.
Plans for 2"x72" Knife Grinder/Sander No welding required - BladeForums.com

Good luck with it.

K

Okay guys, I'm convinced. I ordered Tracy's plans. Already shopping around for a motor and steel. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford putting it together right now (even low cost can be too much for us poor dirt farmers) but I'll get started and see how long it takes. Any one got any suggestions or comments that might save me a few bucks or from making a few mistakes?

For instance, I know the motor should be at least 1.5 HP, but what RPM should it be capable of? (I haven't got the plans yet, so just asking in case I find a good deal on one while waiting for them.

Thanks, Phil

Well, for better of worse, I "won" a motor on eBay for my weld-less belt grinder. Hope it specs out OK. It's nothing fancy, a Chicago Electric, 1.5 HP, 3470 RPM, 220/110 VAC (I'll be running it with 110 VAC). Hope it works out. Got it for 47 bucks. Might have to have it shipped to my folks in NH, where I'll be next week, so I can take it back to Hawaii with me. Already got a forge blower going there. Hope they let back on the plane! Wish me luck, Phil