I Forge Iron

G'day from Australia

Hi Guys and Gals

just starting my journey in the world of blacksmithing, good friend of mine is a farrier. could say I caught the bug from him, in the past I've used his shop, now I'm setting up my own, looking forward to doing some great things making knifes, really looking forward to making my first Damascus billet  

Welcome aboard mate, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge members live within visiting distance. . . Maybe. ;)

The craft is seriously addictive and we're always happy to help someone ease into it. I recommend you learn to forge before trying to learn bladesmithing. While related they're actually two different skills sets and it's actually a lot faster and more generally successful learning one related thing at a time. Pattern welding billets is technically demanding and frankly pretty sensitive to mistakes. On the other hand there are skills necessary to making blades that aren't a form of blacksmithing and don't interfere with learning to forge. Grinding and finishing are always useful skills and necessary for making blades but it won't confuse(?) building reflexes (muscle memory) necessary for forging, say hammer control, fire management, etc. like doing something as specialized as pattern welding.

I don't know if that makes sense but it works.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, i think I've got a fairly good skill set cabinet maker by trade done a few welding courses and leather work, lived on the land also, I've got my own personal teacher ( a farrier and blade smith ) he's pointing me in the right direction.( I hope ) not really he's well known around the traps. Already made a couple of knives with his guidance...just simple rasps file knives with a simple forged handle. When I work all this forum stuff out ill post some pics

hammer on