I Forge Iron

This coming SaturdaY July 9th is our monthly Members Day, and one of the members is hoping to bring along an old small trip hammer for perusal and trial, if anyone would care to drop in, you are welcome. Kettle will be on.

Had a good weekend with the members, one brought along a small power hammer to see and for anyone who fancied having a go to play on

Julian Rowes little power hammer.JPG Julian Rowe demo hammer.JPG Julian Rowes little power hammer.JPG

I found this hammer particularly interesting as although there was no makers ID on the machine, there was the name Hardypick and a machine ID number on the stand, I served some time as an apprentice at the Hardypick works, but never came across one of these.  It seemed to be tooled up for producing points on chisels and this would point to it being useful to say the least as Hardypick produced pneumatic drilling equipment for mining, and points were made at the works. So if anyone else can shed any light upon the maker, it would be appreciated.

Another tool in the process of being made was a leaf veing tool based on the CoSIRA drawing which turned out well.

James deane making his leafing tool.JPG

Others did their own thing including making the firepot, ash dump and slide valve assembly ready to fit into a table, and another played with some wrought iron with varying results, but learning a lot about forging the material and how it behaves.

On the Sunday a youngster came along to just "Have a go", he had never picked up a hammer before so we took things nice and steady and made a log roller, with some twists, forging and a little fireweld, He has already booked for a three day intensive basic skills course, so that should give him a little confidence to start with next time.

First attempt at forging.JPG 

Finishing with wax compound.JPG

Although the end appears to be red hot, it is actually the reflection from the fire in the waxed finish

Looking forward to the next members day, August 13th at Westpoint.

Came across this old advert for Hardypick on Grace's Guide, circa 1926, no sign of a powerhammer, but this would have been used to point the picks for their pneumatic Hammer Drills, as an apprentice they wouldn't have let me perform on the powerhammer anyway, (under one freeing the workpiece stuck in the top tool on a drop stamp was OK, but near the operating switch was a definite NO NO ! ) I can remember seeing power hammers there in use, but not this type specifically, But then I wasn't taking that much notice then, too busy with other apprentice duties.

Hardypick advert.jpg

The ID plate on the machine is the Plant number for audit purposes. 

DSC09318 - Copy.JPG