I Forge Iron

Hello Everybody,

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while and have now just joined.I just recently acquired a Chambersburg 3H utility hammer and was wondering if any of you kind folk had any info/manual on this beast? It seems to be in very good shape and I look forward to getting it put into service in the coming weeks. It is my first air hammer, i have always had mechanical hammers in the past so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard Upsetter, glad to have you. If you've been luring a while you've read me say thing before. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge members live within visiting distance.

Did you do a web search before asking the world in general here? I searched using, "Chambersburg 3H Utility Hammer Manuals" for terms and got 9 pages of hits. This link was about 5 down from the top the site says it has manuals for darned near everything. My Yahoofu isn't the greatest either. I'm bookmarking the site just because.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=Chambersburn+3H+utility+hammer+manual&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Frosty The Lucky.

Happy to be here Frosty! Thank you. I have done multiple searches with multiple search engines and have only found a few bits and pieces . I did contact Bob Bergman and he is very generously photo copying an original manual for me . I thought I would ask around on here to see what other knowledgable people would be willing to share. How's the weather in Alaska?

cheers, 

Matt

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bob's good people and has to be the most knowledgeable pneumatic power hammer guy I know of though there are a number here. The trouble I ran into on that site was having to know more about your hammer than I do to pick the right manual. That and I didn't want to buy one to find out if I was right.

Weather's been excellent in the 70s a couple weeks ago but hanging in the mid to high 60s recently fast moving cold fronts have been blowing cumulus and occasional showers through pretty quickly. We could use rain though it's been awful dry we're sweating fires again this year.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm up in NE corner of the state, Decorah. 

What's the die size? Those utilities always look like they have generous dies.

Don't be afraid to keep posting specific questions on FB, someone is bound to chime in.

Search on IFI shows a handful of Cburg owners, try contacting them directly, most guys are happy to talk shop.

Are you installing this in your personal shop? What type of work are you planing on doing with it?

I think I have an article from an old Anvils Ring that talks about setting up the linkage on this type of hammer to achieve hard single blows,

I can try to find it if you want.

The dies are 4" x 7" Andrew. I am going through the literature that Bob sent me now . Any info you could come up with would be great. I will have it set up and running next week so it won't take long for me to figure it out . I do quite a bit of architectural work, tool making and  I would like to start making some pattern welded knives etc. I also make sculpture for which I have big plans for this hammer.  I really look forward to the control of this beast . I haven't been up to Decorah in years but if you feel like making the 3.5 hour drive to Fairfield let me know and you can check this hammer out for yourself, with an IPA donation of course!