I Forge Iron

New Hammer

machine-n-forge

Well I bought a three pound Plumb cross peen from MSC for a starter hammer. I had about a month or two of downtime when my baby boy was born ,so I really only have about a month of experince. That being said, I used this hammer while forging for everything. Right away the face of this hammer began to dent and the edges chipped at the slightest miss. So I have been eye'in a 1500 gram Peddinghaus cross peen ever since I started smithing. It arrived last Friday, so I was able to use it Saturday. This hammer was like night and day compared to the Plumb. It was slightly heavier and seemed to be much more evenly balanced. I forged a piece of 3/4 round into a nail header and it made light work of it. I guess what I am getting at is DON"T buy Plumb cross peen hammers, mine didn't appear to be tempered properly and case hardened edges could be dangerous chipping off.

Has anyone else owned a Plumb? What was your experience with it?

Chuck

Plumb used to a good name in hammers started by a "Mr Plumb" in the mid 1800's.

They were bought out by a conglomerate several years ago. They are now made in China. I have not used a chinese made Plumb.

However many years ago when I was a kid a Plumb was know as a superior hammer.

Well it was a good hammer to piddle with. It was made in China and was only $20.00, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much. The smith that I work with suggested that I buy one to get started. He is a traditional smith in that he only works with tools that would have been used in 18th century America (he works for a museum). So the Peddinghaus was off his list as a tool to buy. The Plumb looks more traditional.

What can you do with this global economy?

Chuck