I Forge Iron

Leg vice restoration

Chrisw

Following a recent retrenchment I decided to renew an earlier interest in blacksmithing and started planning a small garage forge set-up.  A visit to a local salvage yard to investigate a hand-cranked blower was disappointing because the blower was beyond economic repair but by chance I found a 'German' style leg vice at a reasonable price which was in fair condition for restoration.  This vice has the benefit of the extra-large side plates which provide additional support and stability to the front jaw and therefore was an immediate purchase.  After surveying it I found that it is just missing the front thrust washer, the complete mounting bracket [the welded tab was a previous owner's quick-fix, I think], the spring, and the front jaw thread-protector - all things often missing on 2nd-hand vices.

570f40b48f41d_Legviceaspurchased-2016040570f40f8e4882_Legvicestrippedforcleaning

As far as I can tell, the German vices tended to have a mounting bracket that is bolted to the vice and screwed into the support post through scrolled 'V' shaped arms [see right-hand picture of the various mount styles attached].  I will have to forge one of these once I am up and running.  

vise_brackets_dwg_640.jpg.136389fe24684c

Similarly, I plan to make the front thrust washer by forging a ring from square bar and welding it closed.  The front jaw has a small hole just above the washer location which I assume is to lock the washer and prevent it from rotating.  I will need to create a tab on the washer for this.  Can anyone tell me whether this vice would have had a 'U' shaped spring - the space seems a bit small for the simple single-leaf style found on 'English' style vice. Also, if anyone has a photo of a 'screw protector plate'
I would be interested to see what it should look like - this is a fitting that attaches to the inside of the front jaw and covers the exposed threads as the jaws open and which just rides over the screw box as it closes.

For scrap yard prices i would have gotten the hand crank blower just for yard art.

Littleblacksmith 

Littleblacksmith: If you had seen it, you maybe would not have bought this particular blower.  Anyway, there should be a reasonably good supply of better condition hand-cranked blowers here because South Africa, with the exception of a few major industrialized cities, is a large and mainly rural country with a long history based on farming.  I just need to get out there to see what is available!  The vice, on the other hand, may be a rare find - I've never seen another quite like it in a store here although there are quite a few up for grabs in the 'English' style.