I Forge Iron

Junkyard manual hydraulic press

Jonah k

Built this little manual hydraulic press a couple months back and it has come in handy quite a few times. Used it to press form some candle holders and would like to make some other dies for it soon works well and I only have about 30$ into it.image.thumb.jpg.4c63ed583a9f1740fad39187

image.jpg

Nice work... I am thinking of building one myself. If i am seeing yours correctly...you've basically inverted the working end of the jack so that the piece of tubing/pipe attached to the baseplate essentially becomes the new "ram" ? How much does that top angle iron flex? I was thinking of using channel iron for mine but i do like that design....

Thanks

The top isn't actually angle iron it is a piece of 4" I beam with the top flange cut off, it doesn't flex at all. Kinda hard to come across free I beam but you could weld 2 pieces of angle iron together to get a t shaped piece like that. The bottom is also 4" I beam and the sides are 4" c channel. And yea under the jack there is a piece of 1/4" plate that the springs are attached to the jack just sits in there and the springs hold it in place. The ram is a piece of solid 1 1/2" shaft welded to the 1/4" plate but you could use heavy pipe.

If you use channel iron for the top brace I would support the center with webbing because the jack creates a very all point load on the top brace.

just thought of that

If i used channel I was gonna have the top section be doubled up and standing on edge , coped into the vertical....which would in essence act like beam or tubing depending how it was arranged. You are right though ...some gussets wouldnt hurt. What size is your jack?