I Forge Iron

5160 Dagger with Cocobolo + Teak and Filework Spacer

Graham Fredeen

Happy New Year everyone.

I just finished this one up Newyears morning. I spent all of Newyears eve in the shop finishing it up.

Forged 5160, heat treated
Cocobolo grip wood
Teak spacers
steel spacers with filework
Mild steel guard and pommel

Overall length: 12.75"
Blade length: 7.75"

I am not very happy with these pictures, and out of the 50 or so I took theses were the only usable ones, the rest were all fuzzy. I need to get a better digital camera, my little 1 or 2 mega pixle with no optical zoom just isnt cutting it anymore.

Anyway, let me know what you all think, comments, questions, and as always any criticism is more than welcome.

Have a safe and productive New Year

Graham

4690.attach

4691.attach

4692.attach

4693.attach

Thanks.

No, thats not hamon, it is some kind of reflection from something.
But oddly enough, the W-1 dagger I did a little earlier has a faint hamon that runs nicely from the tip and semetrically down the edges. I tried a light etch, but it wouldnt pop, so I gave up and re-sanded the blade. I didnt do a differential heat treat on it and there was not a great contrast in the hardened and unhardened boundaries of the blade since the spine hardened as well, just not to the degree of the edge. But you cant really tell from the pictures of it, especially with my camera.