I Forge Iron

Id my anvil

I believe the double bick is a European style and that's about my limit as far as identifying it goes, Interesting stand, does is quieten the ring as a plain stump does? It's a design I could maybe find a use for, if it does.

thaaaat's a beauty! It's a French (or maybe Belgian?) cast steel anvil of the north-western type. it seems that they are very good anvils. if your anvil is secured firmly by some means, not just prevented to move around, this will quiet it more. that's a very versatile pattern. on a French site I saw quiet a few of this kind of anvils for sale, all in very good condition, that speaks a lot of their quality an maybe of the quality of the smiths they use them.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with Matei, almost certainly French. German style typically has a flatter transition into the horn. Yours has a slight step, which could mean French, Spanish, or Italian, but in this case you have one very suggestive identifying feature, which is the side-exit curved hardie hole. The only place I have seen them is on French anvils.