I Forge Iron

Chris from Augusta, Georgia.

Worshipdrummer

Third time is the charm: Just wanted to reach out and see if there are any other smiths in the Augusta area.  I am new to the blacksmith craft.  I started by watching a few live demos at different events then I read “The Blacksmith’s Craft”, I lurked here and elsewhere learning what I could while concealing my ignorance.  I borrowed a broken anvil, acquired a section of rail, found a 3 pound cross peen hammer and built a rivet forge with stuff I had lying around.  I started with a 14 inch piece of half inch square mild steel stock and turned it into a quarter inch piece of square stock then into a small piece of round stock.  I am hooked.  I have made and given away several S-hooks of various sizes and styles and a few J hooks with nails attached (I call them drive hooks).  I recently sold a bow and a crossbow and purchased a Diamond Back gas forge.  I sourced some free coil springs and leaf springs (from a bus) and I am practicing making tools, blades, tomahawks and anything else that interests me.  I will move into working better and known steel after I am happy with the items I forge out of the free stuff.  I have no real blacksmithing knowledge to add here (yet) but I am a fairly decent woodworker and bowyer if I can help anyone else.  I welcome conversation and contact with anyone (especially locals) so feel free to holler if you wish…Chris