I Forge Iron

bikecopXXX

image.thumb.jpg.2fa3e2a052d68feb4e90b88ehi all.  I completed a knife for a friend at work who is a deer hunter.  He wanted a skinning knife similar to an old timer sharp finger but "fatter".  I sketched up some for feedback and ended up with a sharp finger-esque blade married to a buck Omni handle.  

He provided the old truck springs and micarta from a generator insulator.  I just took delivery on an uncle al 12" forge from riverside machine, so I fired it up, heated and straightened one of the thinner springs, and proceeded to shape and forge the bevel.  I had a KSO in a few hours.  I used my disc sander to finish shaping and grind the bevels.  I made a fixture to hold a consistent (adjustable) angle on the grinder table.  Got good bevels, heat treated and tempered the blade, then borrowed my neighbors bandsaw to slice up the micarta into 1/4" slabs.  Drilled and fitted them using 1/4" SS tubing from the trash at work.  Usaknifemaker was out of tube flaring dies so I made some from grade 8 bolts.  They worked, but are a bit awkward to use.  Maybe I'll convert them to a spring fuller config for next time.  First time doing flared tube rivets so I need practice.  They do hold the scales on firmly tho.  

Anyway, it's not too pretty but I like the shape and it fits my hand real nice.  I left the blade as forged and heat treated except for the bevels & spine.  It is about 1/4" thick In the middle, tapering to both ends .  Blade is 4.25" long and 2" wide.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice one, Bikecop. Looks like a good skinner, I like the deep finger grooves, that should provide good purchase even when bloody. Also appriciate the tapered tang.  

The user will have to make sure he cleans all the blood and bio stuff out of the hammer marks, but a good job.

Edited by mitch4ging

Nice one, Bikecop. Looks like a good skinner, I like the deep finger grooves, that should provide good purchase even when bloody. Also appriciate the tapered tang.  

The user will have to make sure he cleans all the blood and bio stuff out of the hammer marks, but a good job.

that's a good point.  does micarta need to be sealed for this type of knife so it won't absorb, uh,  fluids?