I Forge Iron

Steel choices

Johnny40

Hello everyone ! Now that I have everything to start forging, I wanted to know something. I know theres alot of people making railroad spikes knives but I was wondering if railroad steel is good enough for kitchen use (I know it is for general use). I don't know anything about type of steel and grade of steel so i was wondering if I could start off with that. (before making knives ill first try something easier)

Some of the sharpest kitchen knives I have aren't stainless. They get dried with a towel immediately after washing. If dry and stored well they don't rust. If they are some place where there is a lot of moisture, like down at the shore, maybe they get a light coat of cooking oil wiped on them to protect them in storage.

Keep in mind stainless is just that, Stain.. less. It doesn't mean it doesn't rust at all. In many cases "good" stainless doesn't make for "good" knives as they won't hold an edge any where close to what a top quality carbon steel blade will. However many people are willing to have a blade with a mediocre edge to have a knife that doesn't take any real care to keep it "pretty". You'll find though that a lot of chefs who really like a good edge have "ugly" knives simply because they hold an edge well.

I do not consider RR spikes as good enough for general use knives; it's right around the border between mild and medium carbon, a coil spring off a car will generally have *twice* the carbon content of a spike as well as other useful elements in it.

There are knife grade stainless steels that can be forged but they generally really work better when you have a LOT of bladesmithing experience and many require expensive high tech heat treat to get the best from them. (and if you are not going for the best why spend the extra cost and hassle to use them!)

I would suggest sourcing an automotive coil spring and cutting it on opposites sides of the helix to give you a bunch of "(" pieces and make several blades from them allowing you to practice forging and heat treating the same alloy a bunch.