I Forge Iron

buffer vs grinder

I'm wondering if there is any reason to buy a buffer in stead of using my bench grinder. I have been looking at both online and some buffers are slower at 1750 rpm and some are the same as my grinder 3450rpm. The bench grinder I have now is an 8" black bull from tractor supply that only cost $50 and it has held up very well for a few years now. I would like to have more than one so that I can have different compounds ready to use instead of having to change wheels.

You answered your own question - buy another so you have both, depending on what your doing may require different speeds vs. compounds - polishing is a whole different science when you get into it. You either do it right or not to get the finish your looking for. Its also costly, like anything - if you want to do it good it will take some investment.

im still learning about the different compounds. I don't really go for mirror finishes but I do like it as a way to check for scratches and to shine the handle scales. I also thought about building a table mounted shaft to put multiple wheels on. I have an extra 1/2 hp motor that I've been saving but I'm not sure how well it would work.