I Forge Iron

my three post/leg vices

Nick O

ive been looking around to see if anybody's had the same problems im having but could not so if I can find some help with this it would be appreciated. The vice that concerns me the most is the one on the left its a 35lb vice and it has a very strong spring in it and im worried it will strip the threads so I found another spring and I will have to work on it to get it to fit but before I do I want to know if the threads will strip. Next vice is the one in the middle when the vice is open at 6 inches the washers begin to open look at pic to see what I mean and at 7inches the washers get worse also it gets harder to open and feels like the threads are striping and when its tightened it has a 3/16 inch gap. Then the last one on the right its threads are very worn and will only close to 1 1/2 inches and has no washers don't think this one can be fixed with out destroying it this one has sentimental value also its 35lb. sorry for all the info

Nick O     

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

sorry all the pics are out of order

and that im missing pics

the angle on the washers isn't a big deal. 99% of the time you'll never work with the vise open that far.

For the 3/16" gap, add a 1/4" washer to the handled side of the handle side thrust washer. done.

The resistance on the screw at the outer reaches of the vise is the screw itself hitting the vise. Note the angle of the moving jaw as compared to the screw. Solution - don't open that far.

For the 1 1/2" gap. Get washers to take up some or all of the gap (a wheel bearing will take up the full gap and make loosening and tightening much easier - not picture below)

Post Vise.jpeg

Edited by ThorsHammer82