I Forge Iron

While we are on Vises

Howard Raymond

This first post vise i believe is the one my dad had on the workbench at home.I still remember putting blood blisters on my little hands when the handle would slip back. You can see the waythe rounded ends fit it could be a pincher!  His widow wanted me to have it after he passed away. I have been saving it for some special project so I guess it will go in my smithy. When I am gone there will be no one left to care. My great grandfather bought the farm I grew up on in 1884. I suppose this vise dates to that time?

125 171.jpg

When I am gone there will be no one left to care. My great grandfather bought the farm I grew up on in 1884. I suppose this vise dates to that time?

Wouldn't surprise me if that isn't the case as far as age. As far as whom to pass it on too, you can always leave it in your will to a blacksmithing group or school program that teaches smithing. Many organizations would dearly love donations like that to help support their programs. That way it will continue to give good service to others in the future when you are gone and not end up as scrap. As I've gotten older, I've started to think about stuff like that as I don't have kids to pass things down to. I'd still like to see much of this stuff go to someone who will use it, should I pass before I can give it to someone who can use it.