I Forge Iron

Building of a digitally controled heat treating kiln

Vito

Hello everyonesmile.gif

It has been a while since I've last written anything on this forum, which translates to being busy all the time hehe
Anyway, I was thinking (already started) of building a gas powered, digitally monitored, heat treating kiln.

I want to present you my ideas and post a couple of pictures about the idea itself.
Let me know if that ''do-able'' and if I'm going in a right direction smile.gif

For starters, I plan on building a sheet metal housing, from 1/64'' or 1/32'' sheet metal.
Overall measurements will be:
-aprox. 13'' wide,
-aprox. 19'' deep (long)
-aprox. 10'' high.

After all the welding has been done, I plan to line everything with fire bricks, bind everything together with refractory cement, let it dry and cure.
After that, I would line everything with 2'' thick layer of mineral wool and apply ample amounts of rigidizer over that lining.
When the kiln main structure will be done, I plan to put in a 6'' dia. tubing in there, to prevent direct flame/centralized heat to touch the blades and enabling only the ''air''/atmosphere to get hot. Inside that tubing, there will be a firebrick, with holes drilled in it and steel rods inserted to hold the blades edge up.
That idea with steel tube inside the main structure should work, to enable even temp. for accurate treating right?

I'm just not sure about how many burners I should use and where they should be located to ensure the best ''eveness'' of heat and fast temp. climb.
Will one burner suffice to EVENLY heat all the atmosphere?

Anyway, let me know, what you think wink.gif

Best, Vito

heat treating kiln front side.jpg

Oh yes..I sincerely hope that this time the thread is in the right section :/
I really tried to put it in the right section but I just seem not to figure out on where to ask things :/
Mods, please move to the right place if this isn't the correct section.

Thank you and all the best,Vito