I Forge Iron

First fully completed knife

Malice9610

So here is one of the current " Real Knife steel " knives I have been working on, which was one of the subjects of mine and ThomasPowers long drawn out conversation in the Blademaking heat treat forum, Many thanks to Thomas for his help and guidance on getting this piece done. 

I made this knife for my friend's dad, who is getting on a plane tomorrow to fly to Costa Rica to begin his well deserved Retirement, He is co owner of a lodge resort down there that is on a HUGE swath of jungle land and gorgeous beach property.  Considering the environment he would be in and the potential uses this knife may encounter, I went with a more " Chopper " type heat treat even though the knife is not so much a Chopper style. 

Blade is made of Leaf Spring steel from my sisters 76 Camaro Dragster ( springs came off BEFORE she built it to drag race ) . I didnt have time to get measurements on its exact size as I was literally finishing the sheath when my friend arrived to pick me up to present it to his dad, but I did manage to snap some pics of it while we were headed to his dads house.  Sheath is a folded black kydex unit, with about 12 feet of paracord wrap as the " belt loop " as I figured that would work better then a tech lock unit considering the environment it would always be handy to have some paracord on hand. This was also my very first venture into making a kydex sheath, took a total of 3 tries and 2 pieces of kydex to get right as the first was not wide enough for this particular knife, but will work for the other one I plan to finish tomorrow just fine. The handle is 2 different colors of Hickory wood from some " second rate " Tomahawk shafts I picked up with the intent to use on tanged knives. I cut the three pieces, drilled them for the tang then used some small files to make the cut out large enough for the tang. then " tack glued them together and then filled the cavity with epoxy and glued it all up, the whole knife feels very solid, and has a very good balance, I am actually quite shocked as to how well this turned out, I expected it to look much worse then it turned out. 

My friends dad was extremely happy to get it, and plans to use it primarily for chopping limes and other adult beverage garnishments while he sips mai thai's on the beach, but said that it will accompany him on all of his jungle ventures as well. 

20150501_204332.thumb.jpg.9a331bbff41abc20150501_204349.thumb.jpg.0d9e40b643b87520150501_204359.thumb.jpg.3e631feaa8244920150501_204423.thumb.jpg.1353002f8fa61c

Sorry for the crappy photo quality, All pictures were taken in a moving vehicle at freeway speeds.