I Forge Iron

Hi From Florida

tnm

I don't have much to say. Totally new to metalworking of any sort. Non-professional, backyard stuff. I wouldn't call what I built a forge. It was (key term) just an

old grill with a hair dryer. I'm working on something that will hopefully last awhile, burn hot enough to melt aluminum, but also have enough air flow to heat steel enough

to shape. 

I love this site

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Are you interested in smacking hot steel on an anvil or casting aluminum, they're two entirely different processes even though you can use the same furnace thingies. an old grill and hair drier make fine forges or foundry melters, humans have been casting iron and making steel with charcoal and forced air for millenia.

If you want to blacksmith you're home here. However if you want to cast you'll want to sub onto a casting forum, I'm sure a caster will chime in with a link or two soon.

Stick around though, beating hot steel into submission with hammers is not only useful, it's fun and VERY addictive.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty, thanks for the reply and the welcome. There's really nothing more therapeutic than pounding hot steel. Although I'm actually interested on both blacksmithing and metal casting, I'll keep my topics related to blacksmithing here. I've been reading this forum for a few months now, and have learned quite a bit already. 

As for my current tools, I have a 24 oz ball peen, a 2.5 lb sledge shaped hammer, and an ASO from HF. Sad, but true. My main interest here is making tools, but I'm still in the early stage of learning about fire and metal. I have pounded some steel, and I've collected all the steel scraps that we're not supposed to work with, rebar, railroad spikes, etc. Since I had the pool removed this year, the back yard is one huge sand pit. That's ideal for metalworking in general, and smithing in particular 

Ah, stick around, lots of the gang are into both, my thought was in re. your main aim. Seeing as you're into both, what the hey.

Before you get too carried away making tools learn some of the basics first. Of course now I contradict myself and suggest one of the perfect beginner projects, tongs a necessary TOOL. Tongs are packed with a number of basic processes you'll need to know and you will need tongs, many pair at least. You also get the joy of using a tool you've made with your own hands, not much feels better. Once you've had a little time, you'll need to learn the feel and proper care of tool steel so punches, chisels, hacks, drifts, etc. is in line. Bending forks, twisting wrenches, etc. etc.

The basic processes add up to sophisticated products, advanced projects are nothing but basic processes in the correct order. A little knowledge and a lot of practice, nobody is born knowing this stuff.

Don't get too carried away acquiring scrap and such you can get stuck on packrat and forget to do something with it. However, keep your eyes open for a heavy piece of steel to use as an anvil, don't get stuck on a London Pattern it's a recent development and not a must have by a long shot. Don't stop looking for one of course, just don't wait till you get the perfect anvil. We're blacksmiths we don't do perfect, perfection is a fantasy for the kids.

Frosty The Lucky.