I Forge Iron

Why is What We Do Important?

I am still very new at blacksmithing, but in the experience I have had it has been a creative journey. I always looked at metal working and thought "well that's cool, I wish I could do something like that" but never thought I'd be able to pull it off. Then my boyfriend built a forge and brought home an anvil. I decided to give it a chance, and I haven't looked back since. I have a very creative nature and I can see the finish product in my head before I even start (getting to the end is a different story, but every time I forge is better than the last). Blacksmithing for me is fun, challenging, and a stress reliever.

I like this thread, thanks for asking Willow. I've written about why I believe blacksmithing is so satisfying many times and don't want to take up bandwidth repeating myself . . .again.

I do it because it's very visceral, I grew up in a metal spinning and machine shop and had my fill of micron level specs early on. Smithing relies on the human operating the tools with the feedback coming from the very same hands, eyes and ears. Visceral. I also get to have my way with steel, what other symbol better represents strength, endurance, human civilization? I get to have my way with it using prehistoric tools, a fire and something to hit with.

What makes blacksmithing relevant today? Well, not living in a 3rd. world country I suppose it isn't obvious. People are naturally creative and manipulative. Great big brains and thumbs aren't good for much else than manipulation and making things. People today are being sapped of their self reliance, we could talk conspiracies all day but let's keep it simple and just say it's happening.

Without self reliance where's the self confidence? What there is, is illusory and causes a huge blast of cognitive dissonance when reality steps into the game with it's supreme disregard for what we THINK fair means. A perfect example being all the poor kids who are taking out years worth of debt to earn a degree with little if any utility and end up trying to make a living flipping burgers.This blast of reality just sucks the will from people, what's their basis for confidence? Self reliance? They can't break free of minimum wage. Of course that's not a universal condition but it's WAY too common.

Where is the real seat of self confidence? It's in being able to handle problems without help, enough self confidence and we can ask for help without being crushed by our inadequacy. If you CAN do it yourself you have confidence even if you hire it out. You also have respect for the person you hire, first because you know what the job entails, secondly because knowing what the job entails you can make an informed judgement of the quality of his/er workmanship.

Few crafts have a more recognizable "brand" almost everybody in the world knows what and who the blacksmith is. To teach someone how gives them the ability to MAKE their own with a ridiculously minimum kit. I used a camp fire, a boulder and a hammer stone with willow branch tongs and some steel rusting in a river to prove a point to a boss a couple decades ago.

There are plenty of markets for blacksmiths, already been covered here. There are all the truly satisfying personal reasons stated. It's relevance in today's world I (IMNSHO) just stated. Of course that's just my opinion I could be wrong. The kids I've had the honor and priveledge of teaching seem to agree though. Go figger.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have really enjoyed this thread. Everyone has been spot on, and I would like to add that I think that the importance of what we do, exceeds the gratification that we individually get from practicing this craft. The skills of the blacksmith that are preserved in our knowledge and practice of the craft and promoted through teaching and collective exhibition at conferences ensures that the craft will live on. I too agree with many of you that I have never met a better group of folks than the ones I have meet through my blacksmithing journey.