I Forge Iron

Vegetable knife

Swords9023

I think you'd be happier with canola oil.  It's a fast-ish quench (faster than motor oil) that hardens well without unduly stressing the steel.  And nothing toxic to worry with, especially on something that's going to be used on food.  Used motor oil has all kinds of nasty crap in it that you don't want to ingest, either from the knife, or from the smoke during the quench.

It works well on low-alloy carbon steels like 5160 and 1084.  Just pre-heat to around 130 degrees Fahrenheit before using.  I made the switch myself years and years ago, and have had a lot of happy customers.

The Kanji loosely translates to Swordsman or Sword warrior. I Etched it using vinegar and salt solution and a small car battery charger at 12 amps with a stencil.

I have never had any  complaints from food knives quenched in motor oil but it can't hurt to be safer with the process. I'll give Canola oil a try. Thanks for the advice :)