I Forge Iron

Tip for bolt-on-dies and other PH applications

I use bolt-on dies for my new style Kinyon hammer and socket head cap bolts with grade 8 lock washers. It's been explained that these bolts will stretch more than grade 8s...Today I learned that these bolts use a "special high collar lock washer".  The best way to describe them as being vertical rather than flat.  Clearly these washer have more tension.  I'm thinking that this might help in other applications....

I use bolt-on dies for my new style Kinyon hammer and socket head cap bolts with grade 8 lock washers. It's been explained that these bolts will stretch more than grade 8s...Today I learned that these bolts use a "special high collar lock washer".  The best way to describe them as being vertical rather than flat.  Clearly these washer have more tension.  I'm thinking that this might help in other applications....

What diameter are the bolts? Length of thread engagement and material? 

Interesting. I was always under the impression that most socket head cap screws were a higher strength alloy than grade 8 ( with the exception of things like SS cap screws or other nonsteel alloy fasteners). From what I remember grade 8 bolts are usually rated at about 120KSI and allen head caps are rated at 150 KSI for 1/2" and under, 145 KSI for  larger fasteners.

I'll have to dig out my Machinery Handbook and double check my memory on this.