I Forge Iron

Trying to fix stuck Royal Western Chief blower.

stickman

My blower has become stuck sine I used it last summer. I have been soaking it with spray penatrating oil for a few days now with no improvement. I have bee trying to get it open to see what is going on. It looks like someone has used gasket goo to seal it. The bolts are out but can't get the cover to budge.

Any suggestions?

post-15350-0-85104400-1402970686_thumb.j

post-15350-0-61787500-1402970782_thumb.j

post-15350-0-49140300-1402970846_thumb.j

post-15350-0-22175400-1402970900_thumb.j

Have you tried wiggling it back and forth from the fan shaft end to see if it will loosen up? you have to be a bit gentle from this end cos there is a lot of reduction on the gears. if it comes up against something solid and jams it may break a tooth if you force it to much.

You may have to replace the bolts in the case first so the shafts and cogs stay aligned.

if the shafts will move, even a little bit, it may be possible to remove the bolts, slip a thin blade in the join and tap it in while rotating the fan and break the gasket seal.

If it is rust bound, a few days isn't that long. A few weeks should free most things. 

Also there is great variety in the effectiveness of penetrating oils. 

You want one with the active ingredient "tri-flo" if possible. 

I can turn the gears most of the way around with the fan fairly easy but still cannot turn it at all with the crank. I found that the small metal gear that mates to the composite gear was rusted on several teeth and cleaned them up as best as I could.  The casting that holds that smaller gear in place is broken but will stay in place, I think.

So I have a busted casting and a fiber gear that seems to be out of size a little and rubbing on the main casting.

Do you think I have a new boat anchor or is this repairable?

Thanks

Usually problems with seizing is rust and crud in the bearings. you may have a bush stuck on a shaft somewhere. Most times some cleaning and a polish with some emery cloth is all that is needed to free things up.

I dont know anything about dealing with fibre gears but if the two gears are binding it doesn't sound good. A bent gear and broken casing would indicate that something hard has gone between the gears and damaged them.