I Forge Iron

Old-school Newbie-ish in Metro Detroit

I'm not new to welding. I've done tig and mig when I was a machinist, and some arc and OA as a mechanic. I never got great at any of them. I learned enough to do my job with all 4 methods. I used tig the most, so as strange as it is, I'm much better at tig than the rest. That really sucks from a hobby perspective because of course, tig is also the most expensive to get into.

That brings me to my preferred method, which I have the least experience at. Carbon Arc.
I like it because it requires so little for equipment. About the same as arc, but its much more versatile.
So, my mission is to get fully set up to use carbon arc for everything I can.

I know there are many other types of welding that will be better suited to specific situations. I just want to see how many of those situations can be handled with carbon arc. Since it predates OA and arc, I'm very curious about its effectiveness.

I am a Master Mechanic in Automotive and RV, as well as a certified motorcycle mechanic. Even in my choice of vehicles, I'm pretty old-school. I'll be happy to take your money to fix your 2014 cars. However, I think they are over-complicated, over-priced poorly designed and poorly built machines. I'm perfectly happy with a well maintained 20 year old diesel truck.
That's the kind of thinking that makes a guy want to get really good at a welding method that was obsolete 60 years ago :-)

I'm looking forward to learning a lot and maybe even contributing too.

Greetings and Welcome Wisdom,

I too share all of your credentials it the automotive /motorcycle/rv  field..  32 years worth and a blacksmith shop for another 15 in the Detroit area..  You will find on this forum its members are carful not to suggest areas for the true beginner that may lead to an unsafe practice.  I am sure that you are very well versed on the use of carbon arc and I think that is great..  Many times our youth get ideas from this forum and do not share your experience.  I am also a very active member of the Michigan Artist and Blacksmith association .  If you are interested in a great bunch of folks/smiths look us up..   I wish you well

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim 

Thanks Jim. No, I am not well-versed at all in carbon arc, but that is my goal. I am well-versed in industrial environments and have mad respect for how fast things can go from good to "CALL 911 RUNNNNN SHE'S GONNA BLOW GO GO GO GO!!" I'm more cautious than most people I've worked with, which tends to XXXXXXXX my mechanic peers off. I'm the guy that will insist the fuel leaks be fixed and cleaned up before torching off that exhaust pipe, no matter how well the torch man thinks he has shielded the fuel lines. OTOH, for all the things I've done over the years, all the things I've tinkered with, I've never had an injury or property damage, so it's working for me. I'll definitely look into the Michigan Artist and Blacksmith Association.

Thanks

Watch the language this is a G rated family forum.