I Forge Iron

Interdiction from Ohio

Ohio_82

Hello all. Im new to this and wanted to introduce myself before I started asking questions. I have been interested in blacksmithing since i was a child. I would always stop and watch at festivals and where ever else i seen a smith working. Fast forward a few years and I am now looking into this as a hobby. What got me started looking into this was a project I seen in the backwoods man magazine. It was how to turn a rail road spike into a small camp ax.(I know meny here despise rail road spike knives). 

I have started to collect some of the basic equipment. I have 16in section or railroad track that i will use as my starter anvil. I have a 55gal drum to make my forge and some hammers that i will make due with untill the local flea markets start up and i can get better ones. I have also bought the back yard blacksmith, and red it cover to cover. I just picked up the complete modern blacksmith from the library and have started reading that.

I have made contact with my local blacksmithing group and I am planning to go to their meeting this month and the open forge next. I just wanted to introduce myself and i will be posting a variety of questions soon. Thanks Anthony

I had to look up the quad state conference and much to my joy it is on my weekend off. I only get every third off so its a nice surprise that I will be able to attend. 

I will be puttin my forge together this week. So i hope to have some first attempt photos to share soon. Thanks Anthony