I Forge Iron

Vanadium

It wasn't on Glen's list, but I'm adding it : ) .

This is my first anvil. I'll get pics up later. I was lucky and found it within a couple weeks of starting my search, and even got it locally. This was all due to meeting the steward for the local chapter of the Blacksmith Organization of Arkansas. It has some rust pitting but is otherwise in excellent condition and I plan to get it work polish eventuially.

I have had the opportunity to use a few other of different manufacture and size so do have a point of reference. It has a good rebound and to my understanding is of solid construction and that the face overhang is a feaux feature of the finishing (please correct me if wrong). 

The anvil has served me well and at 70 lbs is suitable for most, but not all forging tasks. I have actually found for some smaller projects, I prefer it size, for example its narrow face, when I am working on leaf stems and want to draw to the width of the face. Moving to a wider faced anvil throws my routine out of kilter.

It does however lack the mass I would like when forging larger stock for hardy tools for example. That said I have no intention if parting with it, but of adding a larger anvil of some type later on (and am working on a striking anvil as well). It will be perfect as a portable / travel anvil if needed and has its place for many projects.