I Forge Iron

Copper preperation for tinning and flux recipy Please

tinningdiy

Hello All.

As far as I can see, this forum has the best answers for what I need and hopefully you can help me.

I have searched and searched to no avail really for a definitive answer to my questions.

1: How to remove the old Tin and prep the copper best?

2: How to use Ammonium chloride as a Flux?

The gear I have:

Pure Tin ingot 250g

Ammonium chloride NH4 CL

2.5L Sulfuric Acid 96%

Calcium Carbonate for Whitening.

Boiling ring and safety gear.

Earlier I had a little rub with some course wire wool and this just skidded on the tin. I then got the ring going and heated to 450 odd degrees and the old tin seemed to stay put and not melt?? I then had the bright idea to put a table spoon of ammonium chloride in the hot pan. Bad idea. It was like a full on magic trick but dodgier.

I then thought I should ask for some advise.

Hope you can help. Best regards, Steve

I asked my teacher about this a year ago, I can't remember all details, but he said we'd have to make tin chloride first, to use as flux.

No removal necessary, just clean it really well, degrease, flux, melt tin, and wipe with crumpled newspaper.

I never got around to it though, and the pot in question followed the rental that I'm no longer occupying...

Ideal. Thanks Stefflus.

That is the removal hopefully sorted.

Anyone have details of how to use the Ammonium chloride? Is it put in dry and scrubbed around with wire wool whilst heating or mixed with some water or other liquid?  Put in a hot pan or a cold pan???

I have read that a 10% sulfuric acid could/should be used as the pickle. Is this the degreaser? I read to bath the pan and then rinse in deionized water before the flux is added?

I also read that the sulfuric acid could be used as the flux itself and miss out the rinsing stage I guess? If so, would pure acid be added after the pickle, or the pickle residue be heated??

Cheers, Steve

• 2 weeks later...